- From North Carolina.
- Formed by Steve Dilling in 2010 as a part-time band to perform during open dates when his full-time band IIIrd Tyme Out was not touring (usually in December). In addition to Dilling (banjo), the 2012 Sideline band included Darrell Webb (mandolin, lead vocals) who fronts his own band, Skip Cherryholmes (guitar) who performs with Lou Reid and Carolina and is married to Dilling’s daughter, Jason Moore (bass) who is a member of Mountain Heart, and Justin Haynes (fiddle) who is also in IIIrd Tyme Out. Haynes was later replaced by Greg Luck.
- 2013, released first album called Session 1 (Mountain Fever Records.)
- 2013, Dilling announced his retirement from IIIrd Tyme Out, making Sideline his primary musical outlet.
- 2014, Webb and Luck left the band. Dilling decided to make Sideline a full-time band (rather than just a “sideline”) so he hired musicians (and brothers) Brian Aldridge (mandolin) and Nathan Aldridge (fiddle) later in the year.
- 2015 lineup: Dilling (banjo), Cherryholmes (guitar), Moore (bass), Brian Aldridge (mandolin), Nathan Aldridge (fiddle), Brad Hudson (reso guitar).
- 2015, released second album Session 2 (Mountain Fever).
- 2016, Brian Aldridge left the group. He was replaced by Troy Boone.