- From Newtown, Connecticut. He was originally from New York City. His father was a Manhattan lawyer.
- Began playing banjo in the early days folk music (1950’s-1960’s) around New York City. He studied the music of the Carolinas and played in groups like the Folksay Trio, the Shanty Boys and others.
- Recorded several banjo albums for Folkways Records, with Doc Watson on guitar, including “Progressive Bluegrass Vol. 1.”
- 1970’s, formed a group called Roger Sprung, Hal Wylie and the Progressive Bluegrassers.
- He is sometimes called the Godfather of Progressive Bluegrass.
- He was also an artist and calligrapher.
- 1970, won “World Championship Banjo Player” at the Union Grove Old Time Fiddlers Festival.
- 2020, was inducted into the Banjo Museum Hall of Fame.
- 2023, died at the age of 92.