- From Lincolnton, Georgia.
- Son of Earl and Janis Phillips (Janis was a member of the gospel singing group, The Lewis Family,).
- 1972, at age two began touring with the Lewis Family.
- At age six, played banjo on a Carol Burnett CBS-TV special.
- 2001, released a solo album Empty Fields (Daywind).
- 2010, after the Lewis Family disbanded, he began performing in a new band called The Lewis Tradition with his mother Janis Lewis Phillips, his cousin Travis Lewis, son of the late Wallace Lewis, and Travis’ oldest son, Jameson.