- From Bakersfield, California.
- Not primarily known as a bluegrass artist, but recorded an album called “The Bluegrass Sessions” in 2007. Bluegrass legend Ronnie Reno was a member of his band in the mid-1970’s and bluegrass bands such as the Osborne Brothers and Brush Arbor often toured with him.
- Has had 40 number one country hits, including “Okie from Muskogie”, “If We Make It Through December” and “Daddy Frank.”
- 1970, won CMA award for Album of the Year, Entertainer of the Year, Male Vocalist of the Year and Single of the Year. Has won dozens of CMA and ACM awards, three Grammies including the Lifetime Achievement Award.
- 1994, was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame.
- 2007, recorded The Bluegrass Sessions album (McCoury Music).
- 2016, died on his birthday (April 6) at the age of 79.