TRAVERS CHANDLER AND AVERY COUNTY
- From Baltimore, Maryland. Chandler was born in Roxboro, North Carolina.
- Chandler plays mandolin and sings lead.
- Before forming Avery County in 2008, he was a member of the James King Band, Audie Blaylock and Redline, Danny Paisley and the Southern Grass.
- Avery County was named for a 1978 album recorded by Chandler’s hero Charlie Moore.
- They call their music “Baltimore Barroom Bluegrass.”
- 2010, released State of Depression album (Patuxent Records).
- 2011, Chris Pandolfi of the Infamous Stringdusters mentioned Chandler in his “Big Tent” keynote address, naming him as a good example of artists working to preserve the traditional style of bluegrass music.
- 2012, released Pardon Me album (no label).
- 2016, disbanded Avery County and formed a new band with guitarist Steven Dowdy.