- From the Washington D.C. area; lives in Winchester, Virginia.
- Known as one of the top Monroe-style mandolin players in bluegrass. He is the younger brother of guitarist Peter McLaughlin.
- 1978, worked with the Johnson Mountain Boys, first playing fiddle, then switching to mandolin. Also worked with Patent Pending.
- 1990, worked with the Lynn Morris Band.
- 1993, formed a duo with guitarist Josh Crowe of the Crowe Brothers. They released one album Going Back (Rounder).
- 2003, formed a band with David and Linda Lay called Springfield Exit.
- He is also an innkeeper. Runs a bed and breakfast in Winchester called the Nancy Shepherd House.
- He is also a justice of the peace.