- From Liberty, West Virginia.
- 1954, formed a band called the Harmony Mountain Boys. He played guitar and sang lead vocals. They worked a TV show for more than a year on WCHS in Charleston, West Virginia.
- 1957, 1960, worked stints with Bill Monroe, playing guitar.
- 1961, released an album for King Records “A Scene Near My Country Home.”
- 1976, played with Don Sowards and the Laurel Mountain Boys. He and Sowards were both previously in the Harmony Mountain Boys.
- 1980-2000, performed with his son William as the West Virginia Boys.
- Died in 2013.