- From Hickman County, Tennessee.
- 1938, began playing fiddle professionally with Johnny Wright and His Tennessee Hillbillies.
- 1942, joined the Army and during WWII, spent two years in a German POW camp.
- 1946, rejoined Johnny Wright, now with “Johnny and Jack” until 1953. Also worked with country singer Kitty Wells.
- 1954, replaced Benny Martin as fiddle player with Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs until their breakup in 1968.
- 1968, worked with Lester Flatt and the Nashville Grass until his (Warren’s) death in 1978. Flatt died in 1979.
- Has been called “America’s Greatest Breakdown Fiddler.”
- 2015, was inducted into the International Bluegrass Music Hall of Fame.