- From Dublin, Ireland. Lives in Bunclody, County Wexford.
- Since the 1960’s, one of Ireland’s best known folk and bluegrass performers. He also had a long-running radio program in Ireland called “Country Heartland.”
- Plays mandolin and guitar.
- Early career, fronted several Irish folk/bluegrass bands including the Lee Valley String Band, the Sackville String Band and an electric band called Hank Halfhead and the Rambling Turkeys. They had a hit single in Ireland and played Adam Clayton’s (U2) birthday party.
- 1988-1997, was a resident performer at the Harcourt Hotel in Dublin.
- 1999, moved to County Wexford and formed the Niall Toner Band. Since then has recorded several albums of original songs.
- His songs have been recorded by Bill Wyman (Rolling Stones), Albert Lee, the Nashville Bluegrass Band, Special Consensus and numerous Irish artists.
- 2012, released his first American album Onwards & Upwards (Pinecastle).