THE SULLIVAN FAMILY
- From St. Stephens, Alabama.
- The first band to use the term bluegrass gospel to describe their music.
- Originally included Arthur, Margie, Aubrey, Enoch and Emmett Sullivan. Jerry Sullivan also performed with the band.
- 1949, began performing on a weekly radio broadcast over WPBB in Jackson, Alabama.
- For many years, they hosted a bluegrass festival at their own 69-acre park in St. Stephens, Alabama.
- For years, they performed more than 300 concerts a year and published a newsletter called The Bluegrass Gospel News.
- Carl Jackson and Marty Stuart are former members of the Sullivan Family band. Marty Stuart’s first exposure to bluegrass was seeing The Sullivan Family as a youngster.
- 2011, Enoch Sullivan died at the age of 79.
- 2014, Jerry Sullivan died at the age of 78.