- From Gleason, Tennessee.
- A member of the Grand Old Opry since 1990.
- He was a regular on the Hee Haw television show.
- 1983, won the national banjo championship in Winfield, Kansas.
- He is also a gifted comedian and storyteller.
- His entire home town (Gleason, Tennessee) came to Nashville to watch him perform for the first time on the Grand Ole Opry.
- Known for his heavy southern drawl: “Heck no, it ain’t no put-on! My daddy’s talked like this all his life,” he says.
- Has released several albums on his own record label (Tater Tot).