- From Sandy Hook, Kentucky.
- Began his career with Dwight Whitley and the Sideroads while in high school.
- 1995, joined Ralph Stanley and the Clinch Mountain Boys, playing mandolin.
- 1996, released a duet album with Ralph Stanley II “Clinch Mountain Echos: Songs in the Stanley Tradition.”
- 1998, worked with Melvin Goins and Windy Mountain.
- 1999, returned to work with Ralph Stanley, playing mandolin. Then, in 2004, switched to fiddle, replacing James Price.
- 2000, released solo project Forks of the Ivy (Hay Holler).
- 2008, joined Summertown Road.