- From Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- Best known as an accomplished mandolin and fiddle player.
- His family is from the Ukraine.
- Has toured regularly with Robin and Linda Williams, Norman Blake and the Rising Fawn Ensemble, and Chet Atkins. He also worked with Jethro Burns, Emmylou Harris, Willie Nelson, Johnny Gimble, Greg Brown, John Hartford and Taj Mahal, among others.
- He is makes regular appearances on radio’s A Prairie Home Companion, and for several years served as Music Director for the show. He has also appeared on Austin City Limits, Late Night with David Letterman, and Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood.
- He is also very much involved in the Children’s Music Theatre in Minneapolis.
- As a composer, his works have been performed by the Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra, the Minnesota Sinfonia, the Rochester (Minnesota) Symphony Orchestra, the Des Moines Symphony and the Kremlin Chamber Orchestra, among others. He composed and performed the underscore for Ken Burns documentary about Mark Twain (PBS).
- 2001, was the recipient of a Bush Artist Fellowship for Music Composition.
- 2012, released solo project The Mando Chronicles (Red House).