THE KNOXVILLE GRASS
- From Knoxville, Tennessee.
- A popular progressive bluegrass band of the late 70’s and early 80’s featuring Mark Newton and Glenn Laney. Paul Brewster was also in this group for two years.
- Home base: Buddy’s Bar-B-Q in Knoxville, where they performed regularly.
- Newton left to form the Virginia Squires. He has since performed and recorded as a solo artist.
- 1997, Laney formed a new group called The Knoxville Bluegrass Band with several former members of the Pinnacle Boys.
- 2000, the original band re-united to play the Graves Mountain Bluegrass Festival (produced by Mark Newton).
- 2001, Laney died of cancer.