- From Berry, Alabama
- 1953-1963, played mandolin with Carl Sauceman and the Green Valley Boys.
- 1964, played bass with Jim and Jesse.
- 1971-1973, played bass with Bill Monroe and sang lead on Monroe’s recording of “My Old Kentucky and You.”
- He has also worked at various times with Flatt & Scruggs, Jimmy Martin, Charlie Louvin,
- He was also a prolific songwriter. His “Please Be My Love” was recorded by Jim and Jesse and also by George Jones and Melba Montgomery.
- 2014, released Monroe Fields with the Green Valley Boys: 1950s-60s Broadcasts(Patuxent Records).
- He died in 2015.