THE EASTER BROTHERS
- From Mount Airy, North Carolina.
- Formed in 1953 by brothers: James, Russell and Ed Easter.
- One of the first full-time bluegrass gospel groups. Started out as the “The Green Valley Quartet” and later changed name to the Easter Brothers.
- Made first recordings in 1961 for King Records. Carlton Haney arranged the session and the band included Don Reno, Allan Mills and Mac Magaha.
- During the 1960’s they frequently appeared with Don Reno and Red Smiley.
- 1979, they became a full-time touring group.
- James, Russell and Ed performed together for over 60 years, later joined by two of their sons, Jared and Russell, Jr.
- James’ son Jeff married the daughter of Polly Lewis of the Lewis Family, bringing together the two “first families” of bluegrass gospel music. Jeff and Sheri Easter became one of the most popular acts in southern Gospel music.
- 2019, Ed passed away at age 84.