THE DIXIE GENTLEMEN
- From Alabama.
- Formed in 1956 as the Country Gentlemen but changed their name when they learned that another band had that name.
- Featured Jake Landers (guitar), Rual Yarbrough (banjo) and Herschel Sizemore (mandolin). Vassar Clements also played fiddle with this group.
- One of the few major label bluegrass bands of the period, recording several albums for United Artists.
- Jake Landers wrote several songs that became classics, such as “Walk Softly on This Heart of Mine” and “This Is the Girl I Love.” He is a former member of Bill Monroe’s Blue Grass Boys.
- Herschel Sizemore is an influential mandolin player who has also worked with Del McCoury, The Shenandoah Cut-Ups and the Bluegrass Cardinals. Also has his own band.
- Rual Yarbrough also worked with Bill Monroe’s Blue Grass Boys in the 1970’s. He died in 2010.
- Landers has continued to perform and record with his own band in Muscle Shoals, Alabama.